But seriously, what's not to love?
-Carolyn French, BettyConfidential.com
With a freshly shaved head and a spring in his step, Matt Damon took to the stage at the Save Our Schools March on July 30 and gave a speech that was nothing short of Oscar-worthy. Yes, the handsome 40-year-old does act for a living, but it was clear to anyone who attended the Washington, D.C. event that Matt truly believes in the importance of teachers’ job security and in a good education.
If we loved Matt before, we REALLY love him now! Check out our rundown of all the other reasons we adore this sexy (gentle) beast and make sure to catch him in next month’s thrillerContagion, hitting theatres September 9.
Matt Damon Family
1. Matt appears to be an awesome and super devoted dad to his four daughters (how lucky are they?). Speaking of fatherhood, Matt’s oh-so-endearing reply to being crowned Peoplemagazine’s Sexiest Man Alive in 2007 was, “You’ve given an aging suburban dad the ego-boost of a lifetime.”
We love that this "suburban dad" is all about instilling good values in his kids. Of his step-daughter Alexia he said, “Like any father, I’m concerned a little about her [Alexia] becoming a teenager… because I know just what teenage boys are thinking ... Luckily, she is a terrific kid and the best you can hope for is that you are raising someone who has a lot of self-esteem and a lot of common sense.”
And after the birth of his first daughter, Lucia, he said at a press event, "It's great, great. That's been just amazing... It defies description, actually. I don't really know how to talk about it because I don't really know – I feel like I got made a member of a club that I didn't know existed."
2. He co-wrote and co-starred in one of the greatest dramas of the '90s (and perhaps of all time).Good Will Hunting gets us every time! Sigh…
3. Although he dropped out to pursue his love of acting, it’s pretty damn impressive that Matt was accepted into Harvard University. Smarty pants = sexy pants in our book.
4. If we’re feeling down, we can simply gaze upon that big sexy grin and poof! Instant joy.
5. Matt brought a bouquet of flowers to the set of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in March after discovering that Betty White was also making an appearance. Aww!
Luciana Barroso and Matt Damon
6. He married a “regular” woman. The Oscar-winning actor met and fell in love with Luciana Barroso in 2003 (almost 10 years -- an amazing feat in Hollywood!). The lovers ended up exchanging vows just two years later. We’re jealous, but happy for them!
7. Damon co-founded the clean water organization Water.org, as well as Not On Our Watch. Need we say more?
8. He does a flawless impersonation of Matthew McConaughey! Gotta love it.
9. His versatility is nothing short of amazing. The guy can sweep Penelope Cruz off her feet (and make us believe it) in All the Pretty Horses, or go up against the government in the hair-raising action-packed thriller The Bourne Identity.
10. Matt narrated Women, War & Peace Episode 1: I Came To Testify, and we love him for it.Check out this behind-the-scenes clip, which includes his swoon-worthy explanation as to why he chose to participate.
Tell us: What do you love most about this fabulous guy?
Carolyn French is a contributing editor to BettyConfidential.